Builder Fund Production Manager
TEDCO is an independent, public corporation established by the Maryland General Assembly in 1998 to facilitate the creation of business in Maryland and to foster their growth in all regions of the State. TEDCO has established itself as a leader in innovation commercialization and early stage investment in emerging technology companies based in Maryland. TEDCO created the Builder Fund in 2018.
The Builder Fund is looking to hire a scrappy, energetic, highly disciplined, team-oriented, self-starter to join the TEDCO team in Columbia, Maryland on a part-time basis. Currently in its second year of operation, the Builder Fund supports startup companies based in Maryland run by “disadvantaged” founders, i.e., individuals from groups that historically lack access to capital for funding their businesses.
The Builder Fund is a new approach to inclusivity that assembles executive management support and provides early stage, “pre-seed” funding to help founders get their businesses off the ground. By supplementing businesses with executive management support and fostering relationship-building directly tied to operational performance, businesses might forge stronger pathways to smart capital.
The Production Manager reports to the Builder Fund Director. The Production Manager is primarily responsible for interaction with companies from the applicant phase to the investment phase and ongoing portfolio management. This includes solicitation support and deal analysis during the evaluation stage and interaction with the companies throughout all interaction phases.
- The production manager will interact with Builder Fund applicants and awardees to communicate and monitor the commercial value of investment opportunities and support and report the support process for successful completion of the various Builder Fund phases, including application, evaluation, executive support assistance, investment and ongoing monitoring and tracking.
- The production manager will work closely with the program director and will take part in all aspects of identifying, communicating with, evaluating and making recommendations on new business opportunities, including providing insight and feedback on investment readiness and potential and supporting and monitoring the businesses selected for support.
- The production manager will maintain informational databases on program participants and regularly report to the director and broader organization on the progress of the companies in the fund by preparing summary reports and presenting metrics and data on the program and its portfolio companies, including tracking and documenting interaction and status of companies, providing portfolio management assistance, assisting in financial and regulatory compliance and connecting awardees to relevant sources of public and private investment and government assistance.
- The production manager’s inquisitive and curious nature will serve her or him well in learning about new innovations, new industries and new markets while establishing and maintaining professional relationships through interaction with inventors, innovators, thought leaders, entrepreneurs, investors and other connectors in the entrepreneurial community. |
- The production manager will support coordination of information sessions and orientation activities for educating, selecting and matching companies and executive consultants with the objective of facilitating interactions between all program participants and optimizing productivity.
- Outreach is a daily aspect of the business and includes interaction with business teams and outside investors and directly engaging in and contributing to promotional activities and community events in the statewide entrepreneurial ecosystem, sometimes during evenings and on weekends.
- Engaging the Builder Fund network and broader entrepreneurial community on social media and other digital platforms requires a disciplined vigor. An outgoing, personable, communicative approach with an ability to articulate well-thought out and informed ideas are personal attributes that would best fit this position.
- 3 to 5 years working at a business incubator or accelerator, an early stage investment firm, on startup operations, in business consulting or in an economic development function rigorously supporting growth businesses is strongly preferred.
- An M.B.A is preferred and a Bachelor’s degree in a related field or in biotechnology or life sciences is required.
- An entrepreneurial mindset with a real passion to own opportunities and challenges related to both business acceleration and social impact.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and a demonstrated ability to work with individuals across key organizations and programs;
- Strong collaborative and teamwork skill, attention to detail and process, an ability to manage multiple tasks while meeting deadlines, preference for working in a fast-paced environment and commercial perspective on technical ideas are all highly valued;
- Proficiency with customer relationship management tools a plus, particularly Salesforce and HubSpot.
- Proficiency with spreadsheet and relational database software (i.e., Excel and Access) a plus.
- Regular, avid usage of social media a plus.
Please send cover letter and resume to builderfund@TEDCO.MD. Applications will be considered as they are received.